Foxtrot 3/37 slideshow

Saturday, September 25, 2010

No more letters until AIT

The last letter I posted is it until I get Stan's AIT address. Yesterday,Friday afternoon I was able to talk to him for about 2 hours though. Stan is now his Platoons PG and so he's in charge of the phones when the DS leave for the weekend. He told me he just tells the guys as soon as they get everything done he'll let them have their phones. Stan Said the 15 k ruck march went fine. He was a little disappointed that they only made them carry 30 lb. packs though. He told me a part of the march they call it the "Stairway to Heaven". But he just giggled under his breath when they got to it because it was this little rolling hill. I asked him if he wanted me to text him some pictures of real Mountains to show the guys. At end of Basic each platoon has an army combatives competition and who ever their winners are they send to the Battalion tournament. Stan says it's a mixture of wrestling, marshal arts and modern combat moves. Stan won first place for his weight class in the whole Battalion!! I guess each cycles the DS have 6 special coins they can give to any soldier they think deserves it, Stan received one of them:) He told me that he got huge friction burns on the tops of his feet from the mat they were fighting on. The tournament was the day before the ruck march so he said having the sores on the tops of his feet was the only bad part. The 4 soldiers that won the army combative tournament were invited to sit at the DS table during chow time they were able to actually take their time and enjoy their food. Stan was really happy because they got ice cream. lol When Stan's Platoon came back from their march it was night time. And it was really awesome because it was all dark but there was a huge 60' flag draped over this indoor balcony with lights shining on it. And there was an M-16 with a helmet and more flags propped up. He said it was a really neat feeling to finish the final march and be called a soldier. Oh yeah....They can finally say HOOAH!!! The next morning all the soldiers that finished their training and that will graduate next Thursday were able to eat a special breakfast. (I can't remember what it's called) Stan said it was nice because they could talk and enjoy their food.
Stan says, all that's left is cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning. They're in the process of checking all their gear in. And then Lot's of drills and practicing for graduation day. I can't believe that in 2 days I'll be flying to Georgia to see him. I've been planning, cleaning and packing for weeks now. I'm so ready to hug my soldier. I'm one proud Army wife! The next post will be on graduation. THERE WILL BE PICS! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment